Re: Both DPL candidates: handling social conflict

On 3/21/2014 8:42 AM, Filippo Rusconi wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 02:10:01PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 01:44:54PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
While I understand the question, I'm not sure this is very relevant.

Yes, Debian is about promoting the cause of free software; and yes,
actually *using* free software is a very good (first) way to promote
its cause.

I'll encourage everyone interested in these topics to read this, very
influential for me, essay by Mako:

 Free Software Needs Free Tools
 http://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html

Also, +1 to Paul's mail. The DPL is a rather special case. I certainly
don't fancy Debian being slashdotted due to the DPL using non-free
software publicly, at the very least as long as suitable Free
alternatives exist.

Undoubtedly
+1

to Paul and Zack.

Did we not *eagerly* endure, fifteen years ago, highly unstable
software (October GNOME, anyone ?) because we thought that by using it
we were going to unavoidably better it, for the cause of software
freedom?
Nowadays Free Software has become so usable, Neil must have an
explanation for not using it to post messages. Let him tell us maybe
that he had to borrow a computer... He will certainly have a story to
tell.

Ciao,
Filippo

As a former OS X user (still on MacBook hardware, but running Debian) I
can confirm that there are few halfway decent mail clients for OS X. I distinctly
 remember sifting through man pages into the wee hours of the morning just
to compile Mutt. We should hold a soft spot for those stuck working on OS X
(though I am absolutely open to helping such users get a working Debian installation!)

(note: I'm away from home so the best I can do is Thunderbird)

Mason

"Food for thought: if a Milli Vanilli falls in the
forest, does somebody else make a sound?"