Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

> ]] Russ Allbery
>
> > Second, Matthew's proposal explicitly doesn't change the TC decision, so
> > I'm not even sure what you think would be aborted here.  It wouldn't have
> > any effect on the choice of default.  It dictates in a top-down manner to
> > individual developers how to do their work and undermines the flexibility
> > of Debian contributors in ways that I think are unnecessary and a little
> > condescending, and requires work be done without identifying anyone who is
> > going to do the work, which is why I voted against it.  But it's not some
> > sort of end-run around the previous decision.
>
> The previous decision does say that it is replaced completely by the
> text of such a position statement and I do note that the proposed GR
> does, very carefully, not refer to systemd as the default.  It makes for
> a clumsier construction, which when combined with the level of legal-ish
> arguments being made here, makes me suspicious.

Please don't read anything into the lack of mentioning systemd in my
GR proposal. I in no way intend to undermine their decision that
systemd is the default linux init for jessie. I thought "The TC's
decision on the default init system for Linux in jessie stands
undisturbed." was clear enough.

Regards,

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."