Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 07:21:34PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> 1. the proposed GR doesn't overturn TCs decision about the default
> Linux init system, but holds that one up and adds something about
> loose coupling of init systems and packages[1]

The fact it has to be stated explicitly is insane.

> 2. the possibility to overturn TCs decision was inserted *by*
> *purpose* with our the common understanding of all TC members that if
> the developers together want to overturn our decision they should be
> able to do so with normal (1:1) majority. This was part of the
> proposals with systemd as Linux default and also with upstart as Linux
> default.

... when a GR is proposed on that subject.

> I need to summarize your mails on "useless escalation" which I don't
> consider helpful. Sorry.

Your point of view is noted.

However, confirming the interpretation of any GR which mentions the word
init as vacating the default init TC decision is nuts. This would be a position
statement about coupling, not default init, and it seems that this is to
be interpreted as triggering the clause, as noted by it's author.

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87