Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:42:47PM +1100, Stuart Prescott wrote:
> Conduct is about behaviour and social interaction. A CoC is about the
> emotional contents and effects of the message not about how it was delivered
> or how many bytes there were between newline characters.
>
> To me the strength of the CoC draft we are looking at here is that it
> doesn't concern itself with trivialities or with specific media. It talks
> about conduct -- that is behaviour, deportment, how we want people interact
> as human beings -- be respectful, be collaborative, assume good faith, be
> concise, be open. These are all about social interactions and not technical
> details on character limits, attachment sizes or whether people get CCs on
> messages. None of these technical things are conduct, they are, if you like,
> protocol. The CoC could happily refer to medium-specific guidelines for such
> minutiae if they are necessary.
>
> Let's not spend the next decade working to flesh out a 200pp document full
> of subsections for each different communications protocol we might use. Such
> a document becomes useless to everyone.
>
> Let's not overcomplicate this with rules-lawyering.

I am astounded by the slenderness of the delta between what Stuart
says above and the thoughts in my head I have been trying to extract
and express without success. In other words, "me too", "+1", and "hear
hear".

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers