Re: GR proposal: code of conduct

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:25 PM, Alexander Wirt wrote:

> - Do not send spam; see the advertising policy below. (the  advertising
>   policy is the interesting part)
> - Send all of your e-mails in English. Only use other languages on mailing
>   lists where that is explicitly allowed (e.g. French on debian-user-french).
> - Make sure that you are using the proper list. In particular, don't send
>   user-related questions to developer-related mailing lists.

Reworded to use generic terminology these would be the same on IRC.

> - Wrap your lines at 80 characters or less for ordinary discussion. Lines
>   longer than 80 characters are acceptable for computer-generated output (e.g.,
>   ls -l).

IRC equivalent would be to use pastebins.

> - Do not send automated out-of-office or vacation messages.
> - Do not send test messages to determine whether your mail client is working.

Reworded to use generic terminology these would be the same on IRC.

> - Do not send subscription or unsubscription requests to the list address
>   itself; use the respective -request address instead.
> - Never send your messages in HTML; use plain text instead.

Seem to be lists-specific.

> - Avoid sending large attachments.

IRC equivalent would be to use pastebins.

> - Do not quote messages that were sent to you by other people in private mail,
>   unless agreed beforehand.

Reworded to use generic terminology this would be the same on IRC.

> - When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon copy (CC)
>   to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be copied.
> - If you want to complain to someone who sent you a carbon copy when you did
>   not ask for it, do it privately.
> - If you send messages to lists to which you are not subscribed, always note
>   that fact in the body of your message.

Seem to be lists-specific.

> I think that there are always medium specific rules that don't apply to other
> medium. One classic point specific to IRC would be not to use an CTCP VERSION
> to all clients.

Indeed, but many rules are also applicable to other forms of
communication if worded generically.

--
bye,
pabs