Re: not being elected?

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 01:30:28PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> At least for debian-devel-french@, I don't think that we advertise the
> possibility to ask questions there.

Just start a discussion there, get a new wording and then ask listmasters
to change it.
Probably this update could benefit of having the list description in both
English and French.

> I'm not sure we need another list for that, given the low traffic (and
> spanish looks similar)

I meant new lists for other languages that don't have a list yet (when a group
of people speaking that language ask for it, of course).

> > Mentoring works better when the mentor and the mentee are speaking in their
> > natives languages, but ultimately to participate in Debian people need a
> > minimal knowledge of written English...
>
> Sure, but making one's first steps in Debian is also very difficult. So
> I think that every possible way to simplify that first step is a good
> thing.
>
> So, if I'm not elected, I will probably:
> - see if it's considered OK to direct french contributors to
>   debian-devel-french@ (I guess it will be OK)
> - see if a few french contributors besides me would agree to answer
>   questions on IRC, and create #-mentors-fr if that's the case
>   (#-devel-fr is quite active, so it's better not to add more "noise"
>   there)
> - advertise this (blog, packaging tutorial, etc.)
> - provide feedback to the project after a few weeks/months, so that
>   others can possibly make the same move
>
> This sounds like a rather simple step to make, hence my "low-hanging
> fruit" qualifier.

I see, it is not that easy. To sustain a mentoring community for a long time,
it needs plenty of people around it. In Debian we currently struggle to keep
our global community in English going running because the lack of mentors.
That's why I exceptical about communities per language taking off.

Some people pushed for a similar experiment to the one you describe some years
ago in Spanish, they even added a round of talks:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianSpanish/Devel/IRCTalks

But despite being a small group of people working a lot on it and the Spanish
speaking community being big, it didn't last long.

Ana