Re: to DPL candidates: getting new people to Debian

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 03:47:57PM +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Serafeim Zanikolas <sez@debian.org> writes:
> > If you refer to university students in some software-related discipline: have
> > you considered assignments for the preparation of patches for wishlist bugs in
> > native and pseudo-packages (eg. infra-related sw projects)?
>
> That doesn't really help, in my opinion. It will be a 'forced'
> contribution, one which will not continue past the assignment.

that depends. If the course is compulsory, it would be a forced
contribution, but if you offer such kind of work as one option for an
assignment with a significant duration (a master's thesis has already
been mentioned), things change. In that case, the time frame would be at
least equivalent to a GSOC project, and voluntary committment can be
assumed as well.

OTOH, we're then quite late in the game - we should find methods of
engaging people earlier.

Kind regards,
--Toni++