Re: [Soc-coordination] mentoring programs in Debian

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> wrote:
<snip>
> And I also think that in terms of internship programs (=~ "full-time
> work inside the project during the summer"), we should explore joining
> other programs and/or creating our own.

If there's anything that I hope to see happen from this discussion,
it's probably the above. I think that Debian can benefit greatly from
having its own (semi-)formal internship/mentorship program, in
addition to existing channels (i.e. mailing lists and IRC). The
closest thing we have right now are team initiatives like Debian Med's
MoM, but I'm hoping for a project-wide initiative. We want to attract
contributors to the project that stay long-term, and having a bit of a
personalized touch would definitely help new and prospective
contributors to stay and engage with the rest of the community, and to
continue working on Debian even after GSoC/GCI, or whatever internship
program they were involved in, ends.

I'm not sure about the details, but we could look into establishing
something similar to X.org's EVoC [1] program, although possibly
without the cash prizes (I doubt that there's going to be enough
interest for funding to be justified).

Regards,
Vincent

[1] http://www.x.org/wiki/XorgEVoC