Re: [Soc-coordination] mentoring programs in Debian

Hi Ana,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 14:14 +0100, Ana Guerrero wrote:

> I see your point. In these cases, the "mentor" was more treating the GSoC
> program as a bounty program or a way to have "contractors" paid at the expense
> of somebody else. It wasn't a real mentoring scheme.
>
> This kind of mentoring "let's package this new software stack" (and create
> a team to maintain it, when it doesn't exist) doesn't need to happen inside
> the GSoC, it can happen already in Debian. In fact, some Debian teams already
> do this, but fail to announce it clearly. When an interested user ask,
> we tend to say: "if you want new version of X in Debian, we need help" instead
> of "we welcome new contributors. If you don't have a lot of experience, don't
> worry, we'll mentor you! Please take a look at this and if you can questions
> mails us to X and/or join us in IRC" or something along these lines :)

Would you mind elaborating on this? The background to this is that I am
currently considering mentoring the "Leiningen & Clojure packaging" project
[0] and your comments make me think twice about commiting to this. I thought
that the proposal has merit and would allow an interested student to gather
valuable insights into Debian and its packaging infrastructure or tooling.

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/Projects#Leiningen_.26_Clojure_packaging
--
Wolodja <debian@babilen5.org>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC