Re: mentoring programs in Debian

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:54:44AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:55 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu does https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek - a set of
> > seminars on IRC to teach Ubuntu development. I'm not sure of how useful
> > that is (I've never attended it) and if we should do it too. AFAIK we
> > don't do that inside Debian. But I thought it was worth mentioning.
>
> In Debian we mostly do continuous mentoring on all topics on the
> debian-mentors IRC channel and mailing list rather than specific
> sessions at specific times.

Such things work great if you already know where to get started. If you
don't, it might be more difficult. I think it's a normal fact that some
people require a bit more handholding than others, at the beginning; but
that doesn't mean they're less capable.

Having an IRC seminar with basic information on what to do seems like a
great way to get started, to me.