Re: Usage of Debian's Money

Raphael Hertzog dijo [Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:57:50AM +0100]:
> Since both of you want examples of possible uses of money, here you have
> some that I quickly came up with:
> (...)

I won't comment on them, as you are addressing our candidates, not
just anybody ;-) And I don't have anything too useful to add.

> > I suspect that I would be unconvinced by most ideas that suggested
> > that we spend spend money in ways that it would not be permitted for
> > SPI to spend money under relevant legislation and the SPI by-laws.
>
> What kind of restrictions are you referring to?

There are some activities forbidden with SPI money. I was, for
example, at the PgDay Hispano in Cuba in 2011, as well as some other
(and much more PostgreSQL-minded than me, I'm basically just a very
happy user), one from Chile, one from Ecuador, one from Norway. We
were all invited, and it was supposed we would get travel
sponsorship. In the end I ended up giving my plane ticket as a
donation to PostgreSQL (I don't know about their situation), because
SPI cannot use its funds for any activity related to flying people to
Cuba or transferring that money directly to Cuba.

I am unaware of other such restrictions, but: Whatever is forbidden
for a 501(c) charity uder the USA laws, is forbidden to SPI.