Re: All candidates: Development and technical issues and challenges

On 2013-03-12 07:17, Paul Wise wrote:
Removing packages in the freeze is way too late, they should be
removed from testing in an (semi-)automated fashion during the whole
release cycle. IIRC the release team are planning on doing this and
have done it manually in the past.

Indeed -- I should really have said something like "much earlier in the release cycle".

There is apt-listbugs but does that work for things like PackageKit or
software-center?

I'll be interested to hear what tools already exist that I've missed. Then the challenge is to get them onto more machines in such a way that people pay attention to what they say. Normally people are installing/updating packages because they're trying to achieve some goal, and they won't tend to interrupt that to debug issues that might be mentioned in messages there. For some contributors, a popup notification about new RC bugs like existing "upgrades are available" ones might be useful, though clearly for many users this would just be an unhelpful worry.

--
Moray