Re: DPL practicing

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:14:54AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I think that most people who think about running for DPL are well established
> in the community, because they already do lots of useful work, thus they
> probably won't have much||any time for DPL practicing, just as they have no or
> very little time for DebConf team practicing (thats something we already
> offer) - what do you think you can do to make people actually use the
> opportunity you intend to give them?

I don't think I can do anything special to "make" people actually use
the opportunity. After all, it's just that, an opportunity to get a
feeling of day to day DPL activities well in advance wrt "nomination
period". In all honesty, I had no idea when I first nominate myself; I'd
like to avoid that to others, but only if those others are willing to.

All in all, the problem you're hinting at is well known in all volunteer
communities: over-committing and potential burn out.

When I first became DPL I decided to put on hold all my technical
activities. Looking back, that has been a wise choice to make and I
mostly respected it.

If the opportunity of working on DPL tasks make people anticipate such
doubts ("should I do that or should I rather keep on doing what I'm
currently up to in the Project?"), even better. In my experience, people
who plan to become DPL should eventually face those doubts at some point
anyhow.

Cheers.