Re: Gergely and Wouter: on the need of becoming a DPL

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 07:33:06AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > I will try to be a DPL who will care a bit less about the letter
> > > of the constitution or the letter of the social contract, than
> > > about the people and the job that needs doing.
> >
> > The above (and the rest of your message) doesn't give any specifics of
> > what you plan to *do* as DPL, though.
>
> No, because (as I've said before) there is no detailed plan.

As I've said before, “what will you do” doesn't request that you lay out
a plan.

Saying what you will care about doesn't tell us anything about what you
will *do*. Saying what you will focus on doesn't tell us what you will
*do*.

> I honestly don't see what more I could tell you, without making up
> examples. I do *not* want to do that, because that will always be
> contrived and missing the point.

You say that you feel you can do better. That's an entirely subjective
statement, of course. We're asking what you will *do*, so we can better
know what you mean by “do better”. In particular, what you will do.

Naturally, that involves speculation about future possibilities. Surely,
though, a DPL candidate can be expected to have some degree of foresight
as to typical *specific* situations and how they would respond
differently from other candidates.

That's what is being requested – in my framing of the question, anyway.

> What more do you want? There is nothing more to say than that.

Perhaps that's the most informative answer. Thank you.

--
 \     “It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to |
  `\    persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” —Carl |