Re: Gergely and Wouter: on the need of becoming a DPL

Please don't send me personal copies of messages that are also going to
the mailing list, as I haven't asked for that.

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:05:24AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> > * What *specific* actions, requiring DPL powers, will you do as DPL?
> > For each of those specific actions, why do you think they need DPL
> > powers?

Point taken about “powers”. You acknowledge that the DPL has authority
to do some things that ordinary members can't do, so please read
“authority” in its place.

> This question is based on a number of incorrect assumptions.
>
> First, it assumes I have a very specific plan laid out for the next
> year, with what I will do on each day (or, well at least "each
> month").

Not at all. The question isn't asking when you'll do these things; it's
not a question of schedules or timetables.

The question is getting to the reason why you think people should want
you as DPL: what, specifically, do you intend to do with that authority,
and why do you think you need that authority to do those specific
actions?

> I have an idea of what to do, but some of the details will have to be
> mapped out as I go along. In a sense, this *is* a new project.

Of course, that's not a problem. But it shouldn't prevent you from
addressing the question as asked.

> I know that there are a number of things that I want to do differently
> from how Stefano's been doing them. I want to have a different focus.
> As DPL, I want to try and motivate people to work on Debian.

Please tell us what *specific* things you want to do differently, and
why those specific actions need DPL authority.

> As such, if I evaded the question, that's mainly because I think there
> *isn't* a good answer to that question.

That should concern potential voters. If a candidate can't be specific
about what they intend to do as DPL, nor why those specific actions need
DPL authority, I think voters would be well advised to avoid voting for
that candidate.

I hope you agree, and can give some more specific answer to address the
question. Thanks!

--
 \        “The difference between religions and cults is determined by |
  `\                      how much real estate is owned.” —Frank Zappa |