Re: More votes in Debian? Any idea for improvement?

Anthony Towns <ajt@master.debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 04:19:44PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> To make this concrete, we had a spat of GRs to decide various technical
>> and social issues in Debian some years back, and that practice has died
>> out almost completely.  I know I at least much prefer the current
>> situation to when lots of contentious decisions involved GRs; [...]

> Personally, I would put this down to Debian simply not having any
> contentious decisions to make. I haven't been following Debian as
> closely as I once did, though, so perhaps I just haven't seen them.

> I wonder if anyone can name three "big" controversies over the past few
> years that have gotten resolved within Debian?

Multiarch.  (Okay, we're not done yet, but we're a lot of the way along.)
The DEP5 copyright format.  Build hardening flags.  How to implement
build-arch (again, not done yet, but we do have a decision that I expect
to be implemented shortly).

My guess is that at least multiarch and build hardening would have become
GRs about five years ago.

> The biggest controversies I've seen in Debian have been things like
> "when should dpkg multiarch get uploaded to experimental/unstable"
> (resolved by a vote though not a GR...),

A very non-democratic vote.