Re: More votes in Debian? Any idea for improvement?

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> Voting on technical matters, or to elect technical bodies, works well
> for projects that have a more narrow scope than Debian. There are Free
> Software *development* projects that use vote among developers as a way
> to decide whether to give commit access to someone or not, for instance.

> But at the Debian scale, I don't think vote should be used to decide on
> technical merits, to choose technical solutions, or to elect technical
> bodies. It will be democracy, sure, but I believe it will be less
> effective than our current mechanisms at guaranteeing technical quality.

To make this concrete, we had a spat of GRs to decide various technical
and social issues in Debian some years back, and that practice has died
out almost completely.  I know I at least much prefer the current
situation to when lots of contentious decisions involved GRs; the current
situation seems like a clear improvement over the more democratic one that
prevailed earlier.