Re: Question for all candidates: Care of Core infrastructure

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 01:59:39PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 01:14:18PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
> > > the number of DDs has not been going up for quite a while now.
> > If it hasn't declined very much, that'd be a good thing already.
> FWIW, the total number of DDs is not a particularly good indicator of
> the work force we have in Debian.

That is true to some extent, but not entirely.

Only Debian Developers can upload random packages, sponsor other
people's packages, perform NMUs, etc. I also would feel uncomfortable
with having a Debian Maintainer perform an unsupervised upload of a core
package like dpkg or glibc.

So while Debian Developers are not necessarily the whole work force we
have in Debian, they are the core and more important part.

> Until recently, with the introduction of (periodic) WAT runs, the
> number of DDs was just meant to go up and up, given that people
> basically needed to voluntarily resign, even if they have been
> inactive for very long time.

That number was indeed meant to go up, but it didn't. That in itself is
indicative of a problem; even with the voluntary-only resigning of
people, the influx of new blood did not outperform the exodus of
resigning developers.

trying to fool the system.