Question for all candidates: Care of Core infrastructure

This is for all candidates.

In the last years I have seen a really disturbing development in
Debian: New developers are very interested in bringing new packages
into Debian, but care for our core infrastructure (dpkg, apt) has a
little bit diminished. I am not saying that noone seems to care, but
I see a lot of annoying issues not being addressed.

An totally incomplete list:
  - dpkg still uses normal console prompting for dpkg-conffile
    handling, while debconf has been mandatory for regular packages for
    years now.
  - it is still not possible to control package A's dpkg-conffiles from
    package B, the canonical suggesting being cfengine and/or puppet
  - aptitude is unable to display its conflict solutions for months now
  - The concept of "all services are immediately started after
    configuration" and "deleting all stop/start links will cause the
    package's defaults to be re-established on the next package update"
    is meeting a lot of resistance in the user base lately. Many people
    use this as explanation why Debian is totally out of the question in
    a professional environment for them.
  - The release team has been crying for help multiple times with
    nobody being willing to step up and help.

Do you see the diminishing care for our Core infrastructure as a
problem? Do you have any idea how do sensibilize our new blood for the
fact that "new packages" doesn't help Debian if our Core stuff is
diminishing? I know that this is not exactly within the power of the
DPL, but do you think that you, as DPL, can help speeding up Core
development again?

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190