Re: Question to all candidates: financing of development

Hi,

thanks for your answers!

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 4:18 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > Imagine a DD contacts you, she wants to setup an infrastructure to finance
> > Debian related projects (i.e. paying people to enable them to work on the
> > projects that they'd like to do for Debian) but she wants to avoid the
> > main mistakes made during Dunc-Tank; in her project:
> > - everybody can propose projects to be financed
> > - the projects to be financed are selected by the Debian developers and
> >  by the donors
> > - eligible projects can only concern new developements and not recurring
> >  tasks
>
> This sounds quite similar to how the GSoC is done.  The main problem
> in this scenario is actually finding the sponsors to pay for the
> developers, and then control that the projects get done as expected.

Indeed, in GSoC, there's a mentor that takes a preliminary decision
about the outcome (successful or not) of the project and reports are produced.
Google then decides alone if he follows or not the decision of the mentor.

How could that be transposed in the Debian case? Would a DD acting as
external supervisor be enough? Or de we need a second layer review like
Google does in the GSoC?

> However, if it's seen as a "Debian" thing, instead of an external
> thing like GSoC is, then it might lead to some resentment from the
> side of the people that don't get any money for their work.

How can you avoid this? If you request donations for a specific purpose
(projects improving Debian), how can you avoid being seen as a Debian
thing?

Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/