Re: Question to all candidates: financing of development

Le Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:46:23AM +0100, Luk Claes a écrit :

> If the money is used to pay people and the donor is paying for a
> specific project where it can know who will get paid, this could be seen
> as a work relationship and open a whole other can of worms than we have
> dealt with before (outside SPI probably). Just telling you so you are aware.

Just to clarify misunderstanding: in this thread, when I wrote “donations” I
meant direct money transfer from the sponsor to the developer.

I think that money donated to Debian should not be used to pay people. But if
Debian developers seek financial support for their activities, we can help them
by confirming that their proposal is sound and potentially useful to the
Project.

And you are right that it is very important to remind to the developpers and
the sponsors that receiving money in exchange for a work is usually very
regulated, and that we can not do the legal homework for them, nor be libable
if they forget to pay their taxes, etc…

Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan