Re: Overriding vs Amending vs Position statement

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, 01 May 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > On Fri, May 01 2009, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > > Only as binding as we as a group consider them to be.
> >
> > Hmm. Certainly puts the social contract in a new light, though.
>
> It really shouldn't; as a group we decide whether we're going to
> uphold the social contract. There's no way to force the group to
> uphold it.

That doesn't mean we can't make the explicit expectation that everyone
in the group *will* uphold it, as a condition of being in the group.

I had thought that expectation was embodied in the requirement for all
new members to declare they will uphold it.

--
 \      “Software patents provide one more means of controlling access |
  `\      to information. They are the tool of choice for the internet |