Re: Overriding vs Amending vs Position statement

On Fri, May 01 2009, Don Armstrong wrote:

> On Fri, 01 May 2009, Luk Claes wrote:
>> A position statement is a decided on proposal that clarifies the
>> position of the Debian project, but does not explicitly amend a
>> foundation document.
>
> [...]
>
>> So I don't really see what we should vote on unless someone
>> disagrees with above interpretations?
>
> The only question resides with the effect of passing such position
> statements. Without modifying foundation documents or the
> constitution, they are effectively non-binding advisory statements
> when operating within areas that are the remit of foundation documents
> or the constitution.

> Developers can ignore (or follow) such statements as they wish.

        If the statements are in contradiction of the foundation
 document (which is the case in a couple of prior situations), then are
 you saying that anything in the foundation documents can ve worked
 around by putting out a position statement, and have the developers
 proceed to ignore the foundation document on that basis?

        That also begs the question: do we _have_ to follow the
 foundation documents? Or can one just issue a statement "I do not agree
 with the foundation doc" and just ignore it at will?

        if that is not the case, what value does a position statement in
 contradiction of a foundation document mean?

        Can I just set a position statement that redefines all the owrds
 used in a  foundation doc to promote my "interpretation" of the
 foundation doc, as long as the majority of the people voting rate it
 over FD?

        How binding _are_ the foundation documents?

        manoj
 free === does not cost more than USD 1000300.73
 distribute == transport over trains between sunday noon and monday
               morning 8:00am"
 Guidelines === something that must be followed in the ides of march

--
Actors will happen in the best-regulated families.