Re: GR proposal: Do not require listing of copyright holders

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 04:55:39PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 22 mars 2009 à 14:55 +0100, Peter Palfrader a écrit :
> > The original discussion isn't even half over and you come running to us
> > screaming GR.  Way to abuse our constitution and waste everyone's time.
> >
> > Not appreciated.  Not at all.
>
> And should anyone appreciate the fact that FTP masters are wasting
> valuable developer time and putting pressure on people to the point they
> resign from maintaining critical packages?

Joss, what both Russ and Petter replied is just that it is _too early_
to have this GR. None of them said that we shouldn't have
it. Personally, I think we should have this GR, but just wait a bit
more to let things get clearer.

> I think Joerg made it clear that the decision is made and he’s not
> coming back on it. The only way left in the average developer’s
> hands is to get the project as a whole override the decision.

We have had a couple of recent proofs that:

1) We are able to contrast Joerg choices when they are inappropriate
   either in content or in form [*]. In this specific case, Joerg's
   perplexity about _potential_ legal issues is not totally unsound.
   FWIW, following the two messages you mentioned, Joerg also posted
   8763i1bwkp.fsf@vorlon.ganneff which is a more calm analysis of the
   problem as seen from FTP master point of view.

2) Hurrying to GR text writing can lead to absurd ballots.

I personally would like to have this GR and I would like to drop the
requirement of mentioning all Copyright holders.  Nevertheless the
suggested procedure of first having at least some legal advice and
also discussing the issue a bit more, sounds more than reasonable to
me.

Which problem do you see with it?

Cheers.

[*] http://www.debian.org/vote/2008/vote_002