Re: Proposed wording for the SC modification

On Sun, Nov 23 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 09:29:06AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> > As has been pointed out elsewhere, the Secretary's job is to interpret
>> > the constitution, not the SC.  I'm not convinced that the secretary can
>> > mandate that a GR changes the SC.
>
>>         I think the only way to reconcile the constitution with the GR
>>  is to have a 3:1 vote, and subsequently to modify the foundation
>>  document.  We can't just supersede a foundation document otherwise.
>
> The parsimonious approach here would be for the secretary to state that a
> given resolution is non-binding unless it includes a patch to the DFSG and
> passes with a 3:1 majority, instead of unilaterally deciding to rewrite the
> DFSG with text that has not been proposed and seconded as part of a
> resolution.

        Sure. That is an option. I kinda like the constitution/bill of
 rights variation, where we append the GR that passed with 3:1 to the
 end of the foundation document, so that action can happen immediately,
 and not wait until we get around to debating on the actual wording and
 such.

        Parsimony is nice, if minimality was the goal. It seems to me
 that people just want something getting done more than just minimal
 action.

        This way, we can actually propose and second an editorial change
 to the foundation document at our leisure.

        manoj
--
Krogt, n. (chemical symbol: Kr): The metallic silver coating found on
fast-food game cards. Rich Hall, "Sniglets"