Re: call for seconds: on firmware

Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 01:17:08PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Given that no GR has been passed to specifically override the release
>> team decision, I think it's fairly clear that a vote of further
>> discussion would leave the decision with the previous decision-making
>> body, in this case the release team as DPL delegates.

> I believe that one of the arguments used is that by doing so, the RT
> would be overriding a foundation document, and developers cannot do so
> without $higher_power.

Sure, and this is something that I always thought too, but I don't see
this anywhere in the Constitution.  But even more fundamentally, I think
the question of whether this decision actually overrides the SC is part of
the dispute.

People have in this thread put forward reasons why they don't think
firmware may violate the current SC (including Manoj, for that matter), so
it's not like it's completely inconceivable to reconcile the RT position
with the SC.  Given that, someone has to decide which reading of the SC
applies, and as near as I can tell from the Contitution, in the absence of
a GR overriding their decision, the RT is empowered as delegates to make
such decisions with regard to the release.  Or if the DPL doesn't think
the delegation includes making such a judgement, the individual developers
uploading the packages are empowered to make that decision unless
overruled by the DPL or a delegate.