Re: Discussion period: GR: DFSG violations in Lenny

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:26:18PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> Yes, your job is only concerned about copying bits.  Then again, what isn't?

I think this was just rhetoric, wasn't it? Dato mentioned bits to
stress that the Release Team "only" controls what flows from unstable
to testing, while you took bits literally as information encoding,
which is a bit of a stretch of Dato's point (at least according to my
reading of it).

> But if what you're trying to say is that it's not all your fault as
> Release Team, I acknowledge that.  Then again, it's a really poor
> excuse to justify missbehaviour because of pre-existing
> missbehaviour somewhere else.

Well, it is a poor excuse *if* you consider the Release Team to have
full responsibility of everything which is released in Debian. I think
it is not the case, they should be held responsible "only" (again with
double quotes, because AFAICT it is not the simplest/funniest job
ever) for their decisions about what migrates and what doesn't. The
content which migrates is the main responsibility of the maintainer,
then (in case of DFSG violations / illegal stuff) also of FTP masters.

Can someone explain me why all these threads smell of gratuitous RM
bashing?

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
Dietro un grande uomo c'è sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right