Re: Call for seconds: Revised ballot

On Sat, Oct 25 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:

>> >         If we must have a GR, I would feel better with these options on
>> >  the ballot.
>
>> Okay then.  Here's the new ballot including your proposed options.
>
> Point of order:  under the Standard Resolution Procedure of the
> constitution, it's the responsibility of the *secretary* to assemble options
> onto a ballot.  Individual developers must propose and get seconds for
> individual *resolutions*.
>
> You need to propose each of these resolutions separately, not ask for
> seconds on a ready-made set of options.

        This is an interesting point. It all depends on the definition
 of what a resolution is, and whether a resolution can have multiple
 options, or not. I consider a resolution to be a formal expression of
 the opinion or will of an official body or a public assembly, adopted
 by vote. See "§A.1 Proposal" and "§A.1 Discussion and Amendment".

        On thinking about it, I would tend to think that a resolution
 means that it contains a firm solution for the issue under
 consideration, and multiple choices do not represent a firm
 solution. [1913 Webster]

        While I am tentatively ruling this so, I am still open to
 feedback, and I would appreciate hearing from anyone who thinks my
 determination on this issue is at fault, in which case we shall discuss
 this further.

        In practice, doing each alternative solution separately allows
 us to discard solutions that would not have been seconded if they had
 not been part of an omnibus proposal.

        In practice, this can be done two ways:
 a) in parallel, where each individual option is proposed separately,
    and combined into a single ballot by the secretary since it is about
    the same issue (this has been contentious in the past). § A.2.3,
    §7.1.1, §7.1.3, and §A.3.4
 b) Propose one alternative, get it sponsored by the requisite number of
    seconds, and then add each option serially, as long as the original
    seconds continue to agree. §A.1.1, §A.1.2, §A.1.3, and §A.1.4

        manoj

,----

`----

--
All great discoveries are made by mistake. Young
Debian Project Secretary <secretary@debian.org> <http://vote.debian.org/>