Re: All Candidates: Do you plan to be prominently visible during your term?

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Saturday 15 March 2008 22:40, Marc Haber wrote:
> > Additionally, it may be a good idea to have regular "IRC conferences"
> > where the DPL is available to answer questions. A good time would
> > probably be a week after bits have been posted so that the questions
> > that the bits have raised can be answered. But that's only an idea,
> > not a "must", as long as the regular "bits" actually appear.
>
> I actually like the idea. "IRC conference" might sound a bit too much, rather
> something like "IRC feedback time" or such...

As a regular IRC user, I have nothing against trying that. It would make a
good excuse to create #debian-meeting (similar to #ubuntu-meeting with
facilities to create IRC logs, a topic with a schedule and a bot to
translate hours in any local timezone).

But I don't see IRC as a very effective "mass-communication mechanism" [1]
and as such, it would probably be more useful to discuss the status of
various projects and inform people interested to help so that they are
up-to-date and can help effectively.

Cheers,

[1] Because not everybody uses IRC (Moritz for example doesn't use it
often), because it's difficult to refer to an IRC discussion and because
the ideas discussed "live" are not always well thought out.
--
Raphaël Hertzog