Re: Raphael Hertzog: When to commit into repositories of teams?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) [080310 09:46]:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > On Sun, 09 Mar 2008, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > as campaigning has started, I would like to know from Raphael Hertzog
> > > his opinion under which circumstances he considers it ok to commit into
> > > revision control repositories of a team where the person leading the
> > > team is active and asks to not commit.
> >
> > It's sad that you never decided to resolve that dispute when it was live
> > e.g. by accepting the compromise proposed in
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=436093#110
>
> So you still think one should just commit to any repository one has
> technically access to? So e.g. Ians commits to the dpkg repository were
> ok? And you still think that hijacking a package is ok, and afterwards
> offering to "oh, I will wait with any commit for 14 days, but will
> commit it nevertheless" is proper?

You're mixing up everything:
- I didn't saw the "do not commit" instruction. As a previous contributor
  I didn't re-read the README-contrib as I was used to work directly in
  the VCS when Adam Di Carlo was still the official maintainer.
- When I committed my changes, you didn't point me to that file and you
  didn't explain me why you didn't want me to commit. Thus I didn't accept
  your arbitrary rule (in particular when my involvement in
  developers-reference predates yours).
- In the above compromise, I accept the rule if its purpose is to have
  review of the patches before they are committed.
- That said lack of review is not good but outdated information in the
  developers-reference is far worse. Thus I suggested that we have a 15
  days period where editors can comment and explicitely accept/block a
  patch (of course a justification needs to be given too). After that any
  editor can integrate the change by himself it he thinks it's ok.
- I also requested to be added back in my editor status as you removed me
  without my permission. While I had not contributed for a long time, I
  was still subscribed to the PTS and I was reachable by e-mail.

There's nothing else Andreas. Please forgive me if I hurt you while doing
this but you have not been very cooperative either.

Raphaël Hertzog