Re: Question for all candidates: pushing people

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 03:03:05PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org) [070316 14:35]:
> > > How would other candidates avoid dropping topics like this?
> >
> > The only way you can do that is by actively asking people to produce a
> > report when they said they'd do so.
>
> that sounds to me like you wanted to continue with "but you cant
> do thatas they are all volunteers and you cant push them" or so.

Eh, I really didn't mean anything more than what I said. You can't force
people to do anything, and I won't; but if they volunteer to do
something and then fail to do so, I don't think it's bad to remind them
every once in a while.

> could you elaborate?  were you in the position to push people to do
> something in debian, and how did you do it? how was your success rate?

I've had to ask people to please please please finally submit their
abstracts and bios and whatnot for the FOSDEM website. It works better
with some people than with others, but eventually most people gave me
what I needed. In a case where you're asking people something they only
can give you, it sucks if they don't do it; but in most cases (like,
say, a report of the Summer of Code), it's quite eaisily possible to ask
someone else to do it.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22