Re: Question for all candidates: pushing people

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 03:03:05PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

>that sounds to me like you wanted to continue with "but you cant
>do that???as they are all volunteers and you cant push them" or so.
>could you elaborate? were you in the position to push people to
>do something in debian, and how did you do it? how was your
>success rate?

I've been in positions where I need to push people to help get jobs
done quite a few times in Debian. I'm normally quite successful at
using gentle, friendly prodding to get things moving along. As we
*are* volunteers, I have also had a few situations where the other
people involved have not got back to me, and after a few more attempts
at pushing I've been forced to accept that they've lost
interest. Typically in those situations the next move is to find
somebody else to help or try and do it myself.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll