Re: Question for all candidates: pushing people

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org) [070316 14:35]:
> > > How would other candidates avoid dropping topics like this?
> >
> > The only way you can do that is by actively asking people to produce a
> > report when they said they'd do so.
>
> that sounds to me like you wanted to continue with "but you cant
> do thatas they are all volunteers and you cant push them" or so.
> could you elaborate? were you in the position to push people to
> do something in debian, and how did you do it? how was your
> success rate?

You can't "push" people, you can only "direct" them in a direction that
they have nothing against. Some people offered help for Alioth and I could
successfully direct them so that their work matched mostly what I would have
done myself. Others tried to impose their views and we haven't achieved
anything together.

Inside the Alioth team itself, I tend to defer gforge specific issues to
Roland, so I'm sometimes poking him into doing some specific work. It
always looks like a gentle question "Would you have time to work on X ?"
or "Have you noticed X ? Do you think that you can do something about that
sometimes this week ?" or "Can you take a look at your assigned high priority
support request, there are some easy items that I would really like to
get rid of". It tends to work quite well. Roland is a very good team player.

Raphaël Hertzog