Re: Question to all candiates: DebConf

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 04:29:46PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>DebConf, the annual Debian Developers Conference, is currently not officially
>affiliated with Debian (or SPI) and its not listed on
>http://www.debian.org/intro/organization
>
>Do you think DebConf should have an official endorsement with Debian and how
>do you think it should be implemented?

Debconf is already the official Debian conference. As a member of the
sponsorship team, I've been talking to potential sponsors on those
terms. If the organization page does not mention it as such, then we
should fix that.

The day-to-day organisation team of Debconf itself is quite separate
from the core of Debian, and this is to be expected. We have quite a
number of people in that team who are not DDs, and the makeup changes
substantially from year to year as the location moves from one country
to another.

That said, the official meetings that are held to decide the locations
of upcoming Debconfs include the DPL's input. In my opinion, the DPL
ends up delegating control of the conference to the Debconf team, the
mix of core and local people. That makes it official enough for me at
the moment.

How would you like to see it done?

"When C++ is your hammer, everything looks like a thumb." -- Steven M. Haflich