Re: Questions Regarding Delegates

[ First of all, apologies for the delayed response; I'm catching up
  after several days of FOSDEM-plague :-( ]

Hi John,

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 04:46:55PM -0600, John Lightsey wrote:
>The first power enumerated to the DPL in the Debian Constitution is the
>power to appoint and remove delegates.  My questions are directed at
>determining how you as DPL will use this power to guide the Debian
>Project.
>
>1) Do you believe past DPL's have used the power of delegation
>effectively?

I think so, yes. Several previous DPLs have shied away from making
formal delegations, yet needed work has been done. Maybe that does
count as "effectively", I'm not sure. Others *have* officially
delegated, and in the main I think those have also been fine.

>2) Are there any current delegations you plan to change?

Not at this time, no,

>3) Are there any developers with positions of authority who should be
>given the official sanction of being delegated this authority?

None that I can see; if people are already doing a job, then I don't
see the point of formalising a delegation. We're a volunteer project,
not a company where official job titles may count.

>4) Do you believe that ongoing delegations should be limited in time or
>indefinite?

That should depend on the position in question; I don't see a need to
explicitly renew or revoke delegations unless a change is desired.

>5) Do you feel it is better to delegate additional developers to an area
>of responsibility or to replace delegates when that area is not being
>handled effectively.

Generally, where possible I'd be happier to grow teams rather than to
replace. There's always a fair amount of knowledge and background that
should be taken advantage of rather than lost, if nothing else.

>5.1) In new areas that cannot be effectively handled by a single
>developer, would it be better to delegate the authority to a team or to
>delegate the authority to an individual and allow that individual to
>form their own team?

If it's obvious that a new area is too big for one person, I think
it's more sensible to try and recruit a team to work on it to start
with, but this depends on the exact case in question.

>6) Will you explicitly rescind and redelegate all delegated positions if
>you are elected DPL?

No, I don't see the need.

>7) Will you resign from any delegated positions you currently hold if
>you are elected DPL?

*Technically* no; AIUI my own delegated 2IC position was only meant to
last for AJ's DPL term. In effect, yes - it'd be a little difficult to
be both leader and assistant at the same time... :-)

>7.1) Do you feel that section 2.1.2, namely "that the Leader cannot
>appoint themselves as their own Delegate", should be understood to mean
>that the DPL should not hold any delegated positions even when those
>delegations were made by a previous DPL?

No, not at all.

>8) Do you feel that more rapid turnover in delegated positions would be
>beneficial or detrimental to the project?

Detrimental, IMHO. Experience helps in lots of positions.

>9) Is there anything about your approach to delegates which will make
>your administration different from those of past DPLs that was not
>mentioned?

I'd like to see more regular status reports from the delegates, along
with any and all teams working in Debian.

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews