Re: Question to candidates: position on non-free?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 03:14:49PM +0200, Kari Pahula wrote:
>I would like to hear what the candidates think about the non-free
>section.  Is having it hosted on Debian's infrastructure still worth
>it?

Yes, I believe so. Unfortunately, there are still quite a few packages
in non-free that a lot of our users depend on. The mix of packages is
changing - we used to look for netscape and other apps in non-free,
but recently that is less of an issue. Instead, more of our
documentation has moved over there, along with other commonly-desired
things like device firmware. Those packages do not meet our normal
standards of freedom, but ensuring that they are available in a
well-known location, packaged properly, helps us support our users.

I believe there is also some evidence that non-free is a good way to
help convince people to work with us on freeing up their software.

>Do you expect that there would be any changes regarding its
>status during your term?

I wouldn't expect so, no.

>Do you think that there are going to be votes like
>http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_002 again?

That is more likely, yes. From time to time, we need to re-evaluate
our position as a project on issues like the non-free section.

>A snapshot from http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/gr_non_free_tally.txt:
>
>     Option 1---->: Choice 1: Cease active support of non-free [3:1 majority needed]
>   /  Option 2--->: Choice 2: Re-affirm support for non-free
>   |/  Option 3-->: Choice 3: Further Discussion
>   ||/
>V: 312	          93sam	Steve McIntyre
>V: 213	            ajt	Anthony Towns
>V: 312	        hertzog	Raphaël Hertzog
>V: 312	         luther	Sven Luther
>V: 132	            sho	Samuel Hocevar
>V: 231	            sjr	Simon Richter
>V: 312	         wouter	Wouter Verhelst
>
>Gustavo Franco wasn't a DD during this vote and Aigars Mahinov didn't
>vote.  The rest of you: would you still vote like you did in 2004, if
>the issue was brought up again?

I would, yes. I don't think that the time is right to completely
jettison support of our users that still depend on some of the things
in non-free. I hope that situation will change in future.

"Since phone messaging became popular, the young generation has lost the
 ability to read or write anything that is longer than one hundred and sixty
 characters."  -- Ignatios Souvatzis