Re: Misleading statement in debian-faq s1.5, was: Ideas about a GR to fix the DAM

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:26:41PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
>Package: doc-debian
>Severity: wishlist
>
>Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote: [...]
>> But if you want a favour from someone -- like access to some restricted
>> service -- you're much more likely to get it if either (a) that someone
>> wants to do you the favour already; or (b) you approach it as "Hi, I'd like
>> to help. There's a bunch of gruntwork that I think would help and that I
>> could do if you'd like me to. I'm not trying to change policy or get any
>> more say in how things work or become famous or whatever, just help out"
>> and actually mean it. [...]
>
><q class="ramble">This is something where the project isn't managing
>expectations very well.  In some official docs, such as the Debian FAQ
>http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-basic_defs.en.html
>debian is described as "the only major Linux distribution that is
>being developed cooperatively" which really isn't true, because we
>don't share basic cooperative values, such as open and voluntary
>membership, member economic participation, much democratic member
>control or much concern for community.  (For a full list, see
>http://www.ica.coop/coop/principles.html
>- I'd welcome moves to adopt more of them, but I'd expect resistance.)

You seem to be trying a land-grab on the word "cooperatively". That
word does not (at all) have to mean "as a cooperative" in the sense
you're assuming. We're people cooperating to develop Debian, that's
all.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt