Re: The Debian Maintainers GR

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 08:20:32AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 01:52:28PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > If n-m were working well, or even I thought it had any hope of working
> > well, I expect I'd be all for this being unified with n-m -- after all,
> > that's what I'd thought was happening in '06, and what I was still hoping
> > would happen until Joerg and James made it pretty clear that they weren't
> > interested in anything I had to say and would do whatever they could to
> > stop it.
> Reading this from the keyboard of one of the handful people who were
> temporarily in a position to change these things with a single e-mail
> comes around as a surprise for me.

What happens when you send a single email like that has already been
demonstrated:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/10/msg00332.html

Add to that that this time there've been explicit threats to blacklist
applicants and make use of DSA access, and I think you'll find the ability
of a single e-mail to change things isn't quite so straightforward.

And, like I said, I had thought it was something that could be improved
internally, right up until the flamewar on -private forced me to look
into it in more depth, at which point my term was pretty much over. (The
DPL election process started two weeks afterwards)

Cheers,
aj