Re: The Debian Maintainers GR

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 11:05:51AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Raphael Hertzog (hertzog@debian.org) [070729 10:38]:
> > have gotten involved earlier. In the mean time, this vote involves only
> > acceptance of the 'principle', the real implementation can evolve and
> > possibly get integrated into NM (exactly like sponsorship got integrated
> > in NM after sponsorship got created).
> That's now garbage. The vote has a micromanagement implementation plan,

No, it involves a description of the initial policies so people actually
know what they're voting on. Those can change, and if there's reason to
do so they will, and they'll do so in the normal way policies change --
the people implementing change them, and explain why they're doing so.

> so you cannot say "it just is about the principle". It is about
> micromanaging parts of the implementation.

What are you talking about? As far as I've seen I'm the only person
actually volunteering to do the dak work, and Joey's been the person who's
done the keyring work; the proposal documents what I think will work well
initially and hopefully in the long term for upload policies, that's it.

As far as actual use goes, there's no micromanagement at all -- DAM,
FD, AMs, and _anyone else in the project_ can setup whatever policies
they see fit, or, if they prefer, ignore it entirely.

The only actual restrictions are on how it starts out, which seems a fair
thing to have if you're expecting the project to understand what you're
talking about, and that the DPL has the right to make changes to the team,
which is something that's been very murky in similar teams in Debian.

Where are you getting "micromanageming" from? This does _absolutely
nothing_ of the sort, and claiming otherwise is pure FUD.

Cheers,
aj