Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 07:55:18PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
[...]
> Sure, "Don't quit Debian then" is a valid response (though I'm perhaps
> old-fashioned in terms of thinking that as a full member of an
> organisation I have a duty to participate in its democratic process,
> which I'm not enthusiastic about)

FWIW, I do not think this is right. Yes, I did cast my vote for just
about any vote that has been held since I've been a Debian Developer;
but in many of those cases, it took me just about as much time to decide
whether I wanted to vote as it took me to decide /how/ I wanted to vote.

While I do think we should encourage people to participate in the
democratic process of the Debian project, I do not think anyone should
consider it their duty; if you feel that the best way for you to help
further the cause of free software is to just help people by making
packages (and not caring about anything else), then I don't think anyone
should think less of you.

[...]
  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22