Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 07:39:39PM +0200, Joey Schulze wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   Another question I have is that basically, I don't grok why it's
> > harder to give DM's uploads rights, than NM's an account.
>
> DD implies an account on ~20 machines.  Having only upload rights
> does not imply this and the outcome of a fuckup in a .deb will
> only cause an incident on these machines ~2 years later when the
> distribution has become stable.

  sure, the formulation was bad. I mean, technically. I implied that I
don't see why DM rights grants won't be any faster than NM accounts
creation.

> >   Well, basically I quite concur with Bastian on the fact that it'll
> > likely hide some current problem, and prevent us from fixing them. Is
> > there _that_ many people around there that need upload rights _and_
> > don't care about voting rights, reading -private, and so on ? I'm
> > worried with this kind of second class developers thing. I mean, as a
> > staging area maybe, but I don't like the fact that people could stay in
> > it for basically, forever.
>
> Regarding some sort of staging area, it may be worth to consider
> introducing upload permission to a NM who is in a certain stage of
> the process, maintains >= 1 package in the archive and when such
> a permission has been requested from their AM?

  Sure, that would be IMHO a bit better than DM maybe. But it does not
solves the "once I have an AM report, it takes it 6 months until I have
a full account". I (as an AM) understand that reviewing an application
is long, and not very entertaining, hence I don't expect this to be done
every day. OTOH 6 months feels too long.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit