Re: Debian Maintainers GR Proposal

On Thursday 21 June 2007 16:50, Anthony Towns wrote:
> 	* multiple Debian developers have requested the individual's
> 	  removal for non-spurious reasons; eg, due to problematic
> 	  uploads, unfixed bugs, or being unreasonably difficult to
> 	  work with.

This by itself is too ambiguous and too error prone, should I bother
and remind anyone what will happen if there is no strict framework
that leaves no room for doubt and failure?

About the rest of the proposal, I'm unsure what it will (try to)
accomplish. Better package quality? Totally the opposite I would say.
More people dealing with Debian? Get more incentives for people to
work on more fields, rather than just a plain package maintenance,
eg. security, QA, i18n, docs, etc. Personally, I think that while
there will be definetely some people who will benefit from this
proposal, on the other hand, I doubt it will make the actual distro
better, and as for the size... well, I guess we'll have to double our
mirrors' bandwidth soon :-)

Also, expect many errors at least on the initial burst of package
uploads, which will mean extra load on QA people, RMs (who will
actually have to fix the RC bugs before release), because new DMs,
just like new DDs (and old), are more prone to make mistakes, and
although undestandable, unless they are watched over by a
sponsor -like the situation is now with NM- many mistakes will go
overlooked. Do we really want to do that?

I'm not really against this proposal, but, forgive me, I fail to see
what the actual gain for the project and the distro will be in the
long run.  I might second it if someone gets to the trouble of
answering my questions.

Konstantinos