Re: GR idea related to ongoing licensing discussions

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 12:09:27PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> For example, for the "desert island test" and part of the "dissident
> test", what about a GR with the following two ballot options:

I'd like to see these tests (and others, such as the venue-clause)
explained and compared to existing licenses (these are some practical
effects the principles have; these are licenses it affects) first,
personally. Pages on a wiki or something, if that doesn't sound too
Samuel L. Jackson.

There's no need for that sort of explanation to be as brief as the DFSG,
which seems like a win, at least in initially improving understanding
of the issues.

> Similarly, for the rest of the "dissident test," what about a GR with the
> following two ballot options:
>     The DFSG are hereby amended to add the following additional guideline:
>     11. No Required Identity Disclosure
>         The license must not require a person modifying the program to
>         disclose their name or other identifying personal information.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's software in main that fails that test.
Though it certainly seems like a good and reasonable thing to avoid in
a free license, that doesn't make it necessary to avoid it.

A good understanding of the effects (ie, providing answers to questions
like: how common are such clauses? if they don't happen, why complain? if
they've already happened, how have they caused problems?) seems like a
good thing to have before making decisions about them.

Cheers,
aj