Re: GR proposal - Restricted-media amendments to the DFSG

On 4/11/06, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Raul Miller wrote:
> > I was not convinced by this "rebuttal".
>
> Nevertheless, neither of us would be made happy by a detailed
> repeat of it on -vote. You'd remain unconvinced and I'd be
> annoyed by the lost time.

Your comment, here, does not agree with the meaning conveyed by your
April 7 comment:

>>> I keep asking why some people claim that the FDL wasn't drafted to
>>> prohibit all copy-control measures, as that seems to be a crucial
>>> question in this, and nobody answered yet AFAICT.

You might claim that you're not satisfied with the answers, but
that's not what you did claim.

> > Furthermore, I'm not sure what issue(s) you feel references are needed
> > on.
>
> The drafters' intentions and beliefs as to what is actually
> covered by the prohibition, not just its primary target.

It seems the drafters share your sentiment about wasted time.

In any event, they do not seem inclined to discuss the issue
here.

> > I will agree that the GFDL does contain a prohibition on using certain
> > copy control measures in certain contexts, but I see no reason to
> > agree that it was written to prohibit all copy control measures.
>
> Maybe it's enough to agree that the boundary is unclear.

I thought the issues I raised in my previous message were
quite clear.

> Please do not cc me if you send to -vote, or at least mark it as a cc!

My apologies -- I hit the wrong reply button.  I tried to abort and
resend to the list, but it looks like two independent replies went
out.

Thanks,

--
Raul