Re: GR proposal - Restricted-media amendments to the DFSG

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:04:35AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > At the end of DFSG #2, the following text should be added:
> >         "The license may restrict distribution to some kinds of media if
> >         it is still possible to distribute the source code and compiled
> >         code together on at least one machine-readable medium."
>
> Could you please explain why this amendment is necessary?
> The current clause #2 does not appear to prevent this restriction
> so I don't understand why we need to explicitly allow it.

Current guideline 2 is "Source Code" with the explanation saying it
"must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form".
I think it may be because one is not allowed to distribute certain
compiled-with-added-DRM forms of FDL works.

[...]
> I asked this same question before the last GR and nobody replied,
> despite claims that these exemptions were necessary.

I keep asking why some people claim that the FDL wasn't drafted to
prohibit all copy-control measures, as that seems to be a crucial
question in this, and nobody answered yet AFAICT. Remember, RMS was
pointedly refusing to discuss FDL with debian after asking lawyers
whether the drafting catches all these troublesome question cases:

MJR/slef