Re: GR proposal - Restricted-media amendments to the DFSG

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:04:35AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> After the vote of GR 2006-001, we end up with an unclear situation about
> the GNU Free Documentation License. While documents using this license
> are considered free provided they don't use invariant sections, the DFSG
> don't contain the necessary modifications. Therefore, I'm proposing the
> following general resolution:
>
> ======
> Following the result to GR 2006-001, the following modifications will be
> made to the Debian Free Software Guidelines:
>
> At the end of DFSG #2, the following text should be added:
>         "The license may restrict distribution to some kinds of media if
>         it is still possible to distribute the source code and compiled
>         code together on at least one machine-readable medium."

Could you please explain why this amendment is necessary?
The current clause #2 does not appear to prevent this restriction
so I don't understand why we need to explicitly allow it.

> At the end of DFSG #6, the following text should be added:
>         "As a special exception, the license may forbid use of
>         technical measures to restrict access or use of the software
>         itself."

Could you please explain why this amendment is necessary also?
The current clause #6 does not appear to prevent this restriction
either.

I asked this same question before the last GR and nobody replied,
despite claims that these exemptions were necessary.

Hamish