Re: Anton's amendment

Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> writes:

> The modifications that are permited by GFDL are enough to make useful
> modifications, that is to adapt the document and to improve it.  Yes,
> you can not do whatever you whish but this is not necessarily the
> right interpretation of DFSG.

For many purposes it is quite useful to be able to remove invariant
sections.  This has been pointed out to RMS, and on debian-legal, a
bazillion times.  I will recite one such case:

If I want to reproduce only one small part of a GFDLd manual which has
invariant sections, then I can only do so if I reproduce all the
invariant sections, which can be quite large, in comparison to the few
paragraphs I wish to copy from the text.

This is a frequent operation one might want to do (think doc strings,
after all).

Thomas