Re: Amendment: invariant-less in main (Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement)

* Anthony Towns [Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:45:19 +1000]:

> What documents would this effort actually let us keep, anyway? All the
> FSF stuff for glibc, gcc, make and so on includes invariant sections
> anyway, no?

  Right, FSF stuff goes away. OTOH, I feel utterly ashamed each time I
  imagine the possibility of the following conversation taking place:
  «Hey, fellow free software developer, thanks for writing such a cool
  program and releasing it under the GPL! I also see that you wrote
  excellent manual for it, nice! Uhm, I see it's licensed under
  the GFDL, why? Oh I see, these FSF folks that created the GPL told you
  that the GFDL is a reasonable license for documentation, and you
  fscking trusted them?! Bad move, guy. No unmodifiable sections you
  say? Bah, you know we in Debian care more about legalese than about
  being fair to the rest of the community. Errr, are you suggesting that
  we dishonor our High Levels Of License And Copyright Compliance and
  allow invariant-less in main? NO WAY MAN, GO AWAY. You can't relicense
  because lots of people contributed to it, some of whom have passed
  away? NOT MY PROBLEM. You'll be recommending Ubuntu instead of Debian
  from now on? HAH!, AS IF I CARE.»

  (Or in other words: perhaps it's only me, okay, but I can't help, at
  all, feel that ripping out of main documentation that their authors
  intended to be free, and made their best-effort to achieve that, like
  a form of betrayal. Apologies if this offends somebody, but it's the
  way I feel it, and can't do anything about it.)

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

A lie can go round the world before the truth has got its boots on.
                -- Terry Pratchett