Re: Amendment: invariant-less in main (Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement)

* Anthony Towns [Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:24:47 +1000]:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 04:55:43AM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:

> >  II. Transparent And Opaque Copies
> >   Section 3 (Copying in Quantity) of the GFDL states that it is not
> >   enough to just put a transparent copy of a document alongside with the
> >   opaque version when you are distributing it (which is all that you
> >   need to do for sources under the GPL, for example).

> The way we distribute source and binaries doesn't meet this requirement;
> so allowing this seems like it implies a pretty serious change to
> how we manage source, one way or another. The way things works at the
> moment, we'd have to interpret that as a prohibition (for our purposes)
> on distributing "compiled" GFDL docs, which presumably would (for our
> purposes) violate the "must allow distribution in ... compiled form"
> requirement of the DFSG.

  Well, this assuming that distributing the source in the same directory
  as the "compiled" form does not satisfy the gfdl's "along with" (I'm
  sure some -legal person will be able to teach me proper English); but
  if this is the case, I don't understand why the same distribution
  method does magically not infringe the license terms if the section is
  "non-free" as oppsed to "main" ('cause stuff in non-free has to be at
  least legally distributable by us).

  IOW, why does this matter for main and not for non-free?

  (And if determined that it's not okay, then one can go with the "or
  state in or with each Opaque copy a [...] location [...] to download
  [...] protocols a complete Transparent copy of the Document" clause.
  I'd say a maintainer is taking "take reasonably prudent steps" if they
  include in debian/copyright (1) the upstream url, (2) the url for
  ftp.d.o:/pool/sourcepkg, (3) an url for archive.d.o, (4) an url for
  snapshot.d.n.)

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                                  Listening to: Ana Belén - Puerto viejo