Re: Amendment: invariant-less in main (Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement)

Adeodato Simó, 2006-01-12 15:10:40 +0100 :

[...]

>   (Or in other words: perhaps it's only me, okay, but I can't help,
>   at all, feel that ripping out of main documentation that their
>   authors intended to be free, and made their best-effort to achieve
>   that, like a form of betrayal. Apologies if this offends somebody,
>   but it's the way I feel it, and can't do anything about it.)

I tend to have another view.  Debian is well-known for its strict
adherence to principles of freedom, so distributing something in main
carries a message that our users are free to use it under terms which
are *at least* as permissive as what the DFSG specifies.  Having
invariant sections (or any other non-free stuff) in main could be seen
as a betrayal of the people who chose the license.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Why did the elephant cross the road?